Could you stop for a moment and imagine what it would be like to get paid to just be YOU.
Imagine someone paying you to wake up, to speak uplifting words, and to spread your laugh and your light? Imagine getting a paycheck to write, draw, cook, run marathons, speak, shoot videos, act, dance, invent, CREATE!
I have often come to points in my work where I felt unfulfilled- like I was going through the motions, but not really enjoying what I was doing, and I believe we should all enjoy the work we put our time and effort into.
I remember a couple of years ago, I saw this meme make its way around social media:
I thought, “Oh my gosh, I LOVE Pinterest, and I LOVE wine!” I was running social media campaigns for various clients around Austin, so I offered a “Pinterest Package” where I ran there Pinterest pages, and I purposely did all my pinning after my kids went to bed so I could Pin and drink wine.
Sounds silly, but it was an exercise in shedding ideas or beliefs that did not work for me. I felt like my work should be something I enjoyed, and I didn’t like the idea that work should be something we trudged through or dreaded. If there was a way I could alter systems or processes to be more enjoyable, I wanted to find it.
Since then, I have shifted my work, my business, and my art to be more enjoyable and more fulfilling.
That doesn’t mean that everything is butterflies and unicorns all the time. But it means that I became aware of how my work affected me energy, how my energy effected my work, and how there are plenty of ways to receive money and abundance by just being myself and doing what I enjoy. One thought at a time. One decision at a time.
In the last several months…
I make lists every Monday morning of my goals and intentions. (Side note, I am hosting an online workshop introducing some of these strategies. Follow the link to receive your access link.)
One of the first things I write at the top of my paper is “I have fun. I enjoy my work and my business. I get paid to be me. My work days flow easily.”
When I receive emails “out of the blue” from people wanting to hire me for marketing or coaching services, I know they aren’t REALLY “out of the blue”. I had a thought. I created an intention. The Universe Delivered.
So how do you get paid to be YOU?
- Choose something that makes you feel happy or fulfilled. You can figure this out in two ways. Think of something that you do that makes you lose track of time. Or think of where your mind wonders most frequently. If you like baking, you are always thinking of baking recipes or Pinning recipes, or you volunteer to be the one to bring baked goods to social gatherings, pay attention to this.
- Shift your thoughts from “I could never get paid to do this” to “Wouldn’t it be nice if I got paid to do this?” Imagine actually getting paid to do what you enjoy. You don’t have to change a thing about your daily routine, but just imagine, daydream, create thoughts that make you smile or make you feel excited.
- Set an intention. Decide that you will deliberately spend more time cultivating your talent, hobby, gift, or whatever you enjoy. Do this for no other reasons besides the fact that it brings you happiness and fulfillment.
- Take action. This can be very small- actually I recommend small. If you have a big dream of writing a New York Times best seller, just write a short story. Start a blog. Send a story to a small email list of family and friends. Write a poem. Write a letter to yourself. Buy a book full of writing prompts. By taking an action, you are putting energy into what ever you are focused on, and when it’s something you love or are passionate about, it’s like that energy is multiplied by many times.
- Go easy. Don’t get hung up on details or the future or “what if’s”. Don’t worry about whether or not you will own a business or start a bakery or write a book or end world hunger or how you will get paid to do any of these things. Enjoy where you are and trust that moeny will follow.
As for practical advice
Ok, so you have a hobby, a mission, a talent, a cause- something about YOU that makes YOU feel YOUer than YOU. And you would like to somehow get paid for it. Even if it is just supplemental income, how do you go about that? Here are some ideas. ALL of them, I have used to earn money doing what I love at one point in my business or in my art.
- Start a blog.
- Join a group or club- even an online group is beneficial.
- Set up a couple of paintings or photographs at a local bazaar or art/craft show.
- Start an ideas notebook for capturing story ideas.
- Volunteer for a cause that is important to you.
- Start a Facebook page.
- Speak or tell your story to people who need to hear it most.
- Write a short story.
- Have a bake sale. (Holidays and fundraisers are great for this!)
- Offer to write a guest post for someone.
- Buy a train or plane ticket to a place that inspires you. (Some of my best art has come from the emotions of seeing a new or inspiring place.)
- DO SOMETHING- make, bake, write, draw, create, create, create! And give it away. At first.
You will know when the time is right to begin charging or accepting money for what ever your project is. It will probably be about the time that people request your work or your presence. Your passion will attract money and abundance. There will always be ways to break down extravagant goals or dreams you have into small, manageable, believable, actionable steps. I do it all the time, and I teach my clients to do the same thing. It doesn’t happen all at once, but in a year or 3, you will see a major shift.
How do I know this?
Three years ago, I was divorced, and in an empty apartment with 2 kids, no job, no money, no car, and a dream. I enjoyed writing and painting and I was fascinated with marketing. So I took steps to sell my paintings, and for the first few months, art and small side marketing and writing jobs paid my bills.
Three years later, I STILL get paid to do what I enjoy, plus I get to help women all over North America to do the same thing! But it all started with a thought, a choice, an intention, and momentum backed with some action.
Now it’s your turn. Go ahead and do this exercise with something small and build up from there. I’ll be here to cheer you along, and if you need help or guidance, email me autumn (at) bodhileafmedia (dot) com.
Claim your spot in my upcoming FREE workshop- celebrating and closing 2014 before making 2015 the best year EVER!